Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Travel Journal 14-001: Mt. Maculot

Mt. Maculot: As if I am new...

It's been a while since I blogged my journeys, even my last few travels in the year 2013 were not recorded in this what I called great wall of mine. Well, I blame it all to the stressful responsibilities that kept me busy and exhausted every day, leaving no space to write. Good thing, I got a little ease. Not to mention that it's my will that convinced me to do this despite of short rests at night given by the mentioned li'l ease.

It was almost half a year when I last experienced visiting our Mother Nature's side through mountaineering. I was very tied up with the heavy work loads that I almost forgot to listen to my traveler side. Well, not totally! As each time I got too much exhausted, my feet itches. And so, it happened!

I was on the ground of too much exhaustion that even I was planning of doing a hike not natural to me, solo climb, when a friend of mine sent me a message via a networking site to invite for their upcoming climb, destination: Mt. Maculot via new trail. Busy with the usual loads, I tried to keep myself focus and fight the excitement knowing I have a group that I know whom I can hitch a climb. Then finally, work for the day was over. I met my girl and told her my plans. Yes! She agreed without quarrel.

The day before the climb was full of pressures, but doesn't matter to me since the excitement was all over my nerves. I was able to finish all that is required but unfortunately, it's late. Got home tired, no time to fix things, I just laid down on my bed and shut my eyes.

It's 5:00 in the morning, my alarm was banging my room, but my tired self won't bother to be distracted. Instead, I subconsciously turned it off and return to my sleep. Then, I came to my senses. It's almost 8:30 in the morning! Our call time is 10:00 am in the jumpoff, no bath, no brush, unpacked things, it's impossible! I opened up my phone and texted my girl saying I'm not too perfectly well. Then, I opened my account at a networking site to message the one who invited me(since his phone no. was not saved in mine). Told him that I just waked up and I can't afford to act like a VIP to ask them to wait for me. But then, he told me that I can still follow and we'll just meet up along the trail. My decision back then was not yet firm, the chance to have colleagues in the mountain for me now is rare and not to mention that I hate solo climbing(cause it makes me feel lonely), but I also wanted to stay and take a whole day nap. Then suddenly, the usual home stress came! Without thinking, I took my towel, sent SMS to my girl and head straight to the shower.

Packing my things: Extra clothes? Check! Headlamp? Check! Tent, poles? raincover? groundsheet? (I think I miss something) Check! Stove?Butane?Check! First aid kit! Check! Hmmm what else? (I think there something I forgot!) No more! All done, took my things and checked my phone, congratulations, you just got yourself into a LQ! Took my deep breath and left (I might gone crazy if I stayed, sorry my dear).

The travel to Turbina didn't took much time, but recalling how to go there, did! Bad example of a mountaineer! You're not doing your assignments! Good thing, I know how to ask questions. A bus steward told me to take a bus bound to Lemery which will head straight to Brgy. Poblacion, Cuenca. I was not sure if I should follow him since the last I recall, we took a ride to Lipa where we took a bus bound to the destination. No time to doubt, I took a gamble and took the first bus bound to Lemery, damn it, standing! I rolled my eyes and see if someone sitting looks like about to get off, but what I found is a pair of mountaineer. I intentionally approached them and started a conversation following the instinct of a mountaineer re: ethics, and fortunately, I discovered they are heading to same direction I have. So I gave them a little more chitchat until I finally got a sit.

It took more than two hours from my place to finally, Brgy. Poblacion of Cuenca, Batangas. Heading the same way, I decided to stick with the mentioned mountaineers on the bus. We took our lunch, then I brought some of my supplies before heading straight to the jumpoff(we dropped by to the registration ofcourse). I was back then thinking that my buddies are already by the campsite. So, I decided to stay with my new found friends even they were just taking a dayhike. Then, we hit the trails.

As we trek, I suddenly felt the toll of stress have given to me. My feet are strong enough to sustain my weight, but my lungs aren't ready to have a long journey. Every steps are not that heavy, but every breath seems a challenge that as if I'm grasping every air I can. Too ashamed with the buddies, I pushed my self to the limit and kept trekking. But it felt like that my will is not enough to keep going. The new trail of Mt. Maculot is new to me. It was harder than the old one due to loose soils and it's more exposed to the heat of the sun, which consumes much of the trekkers' energy. I stopped at the first long chair I saw, dropped my bag, and tried to calm my heartbeat. Oh no! I felt worse! I took three deep breath and slowly I felt better. Now, I'm ashamed of myself. I felt like I'm new to this passion.

As I recovered, we resumed our trek. Little by little, we took our pace. Basing my assessment to how long we trekked less the rest time, I was thinking that we barely reached half of the trek, so I hardened my will and kept pushing. To my surprise, I suddenly heard my name not far above. He was one of my college classmates from Letran-Calamba, and he is with the group. I scanned the surroundings, and found out that we are already in the entrance of the cogon area (or should I say used to be, since it's much lesser dense than before, plus more huts/store).  The excitement filled me up and I regained back my strength. Glad that I finally caught up with the team, I introduced them to my new friends. We took a long rest enjoying the view of the last nipa hut until it started to get crowded. A large group arrived! Worried that the campsite might be fully occupied before we arrived, we decided to resume our trek and advance on the larger group. My new found friends decided to fasten their pace as they still want to conquer Rockies before descending. From there, we split up.

Upon reaching the campsite, the tired team laid down to the ground. Some took their nap and some took feast with their stuffed foods. Before dark falls, we set our camp and prepared our foods.

During our dinner, a mountaineer approached us and asked if their group can camp beside ours. We gave the permission, continued our meal, and head straight to socials.

Our drinks are done, my friends bid goodnight and gone to their own tents. I head to my tent that is fixed beside the other group and greeted them as I reach my tent's door. They responded and ask me to join their socials. Then, I got new more friends.

I'm already tipsy, when a large group of night trekkers arrived and ask permission if they can camp beside us. As again, we gave our permission and continued the socials.

Felt like I'm almost reaching my limit, I bid goodnight and take my rest.

As the morning came, we prepared our breakfast and head straight to the Rockies for the pictorial session. I'm still sleepy that time, that I have no energy to enjoy the pictorial and take much of pauses. Although, I took some of the pictures, most of my time in the Rockies,  I just sat on a rock and enjoyed the calming breeze brought by gentle winds.

We head back to the camp, took our breakfast, and packed our things. Then, it's descent.

The new trail is jammed by Mt. Maculot's visitors, both descending and ascending. Thus, we decided to take the old trail. It was still in pretty shape, less liter, and a little bit denser. Personally, I still do prefer the old trail, as compared to the loosed soils and exposed trail, the roots, stepping rocks and the forest itself feels much better.

Our descent was much faster than our ascent, although my friend and his girlfriend was left behind, the overall trekking time seems shorter. Well for me, the biggest challenge in the old trail was looking for a way out from the blocked part where the fork of new and old splits.

BUDGET CHECK(As of March 2014)

Fare - Bus from Buendia to Brgy. Poblacion + vice versa: Php 147.00 x 2 = Php 294.00
Fare - Tricycle from Brgy. Poblacion to Jumpoff + vice versa: Php 20.00 x 2 = Php 40.00
Food Contribution for the group: Php 200.00

Total: Php 534.00

No comments:

Post a Comment